Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default "Industry-standard" measurements and advertising

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 9:12:46 PM UTC-8, danny burstein wrote:
In "Percival P. Cassidy" writes:

I guess that if we didn't have decent regulations, we'd have 3-qt.
"gallons" of milk and gasoline, and 40-ft. reels of electrical wire
labeled as "50-ft."

Home Depot and some others recently settled in California
for... not pointing out that "2 by 4"s are really something
like "1.5 by 3.25", or whatever the real number is.

I wonder what the regs are on Log Splitters. multiplying Pi R squared by the rated pump output comes up considerably less than the claimed tonnage on the one I have checked. And that is without deducting the area of the piston rod.