Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default Barn Neutral Saga Continues (Was Bizarre Electrical)

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 07:09:50 -0600, dpb wrote:

Those are crimped; REA ran them. Doesn't mean one can't have failed,
just less likely methinks.

I dont care for those crimp types, but thats what you got. I dont see
them being "less likely to fail". Assuming you have an insulated wire
crimped to the bare support wire. Remove a little insulation just before
the crimp. Take some auto jumper cables and jump across that crimp.
(with the power off). Turn power on and see if you now have a working
neutral. It would be best to tape where you removed the insulation
afterwards.

But the front blew thru last night and looks like wind will be down some
today so perhaps can find the time to get to it again...altho it rained
enough with the 4+" had last week it may be a little dicey getting the
lift around; it's not articulated 2WD instead of 4 and at 12,000 lb
isn't a good mud vehicle at all...

All that wind and it did not blow the wires enough to make contact
again. That tells you it's more than a loose connection.

If you use the jumper cables, just use either the red or the black, not
a red on one side and black on the other. I'm sure I didn't need to tell
you that!