Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default summary for hf clamps

On 11/05/2015 7:41 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/5/2015 2:04 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 4, 2015 at 4:45:48 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
.
I'm thinking about some clamps pads that I have that fall off if
they are
not held on when clamping (almost the same as using scraps) vs. some
clamps
that have fitted pads semi-permanently attached. (Look Ma, no hands!)

Double stick carpet tape.

Before we had all the nice clamp options that we enjoy now, first by
necessity and second by need, we used to drill tiny holes in the metal
faces of our Pony clamps, bar clamps, etc, and screw pieces of white
pine on them (from the back)to make softer, wider jaws. Worked like a
champ, and got the additional clamping power of making a jaw as wide
as you wanted. Since we used a lot of 1x2 cedar when I was framing
houses (think shingle molding and vent trims) we simply cut off six
inch pieces as needed and screwed them on the faces when we were doing
cabinet work. They did great as they spread the compressed load across
a surface more evenly, and even added to the utility of the clamp by
its increased jaw size.

With today's plastic jaws with larger faces, I am sure double stick
tape would do the trick.

Robert

Maybe even a wooden pad with rare earth magnets embedded in the back
side. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'll have to see of a magnet will stick to the
Jet clamp surface.

I just got accustomed to using a full-length caul resting on the clamp
bodies so never worried about the individual pads...it's still so
ingrown a practice I don't even think of pads...guess everybody grows up
different.