Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Industry-standard" measurements and advertising

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 13:06:52 -0600, "Mr.Emann"
wrote:

On 11/4/2015 12:21 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/04/2015 08:21 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Got me irritated that 5 gal. propane refilled tanks have label that says
16 lbs which is 4 gallons.

I have a generator that uses propane. After I had used it (after the
tornado we had in May), I took a couple of 20-pound tanks to be refilled
(not exchange). According to weight, they now hold 20 pounds each (empty
tank weight 16.6, full tank weight 36.6 pounds).

BTW, the amount they charged was similar to a Blue Rhino exchange, but
for more propane.

I have my tanks refilled at the Ace Hardware for $14.99, and I've
watched the meter when they refill them. Usually the meter reads about
4.7 to 4.8 gallons. However, they set it on a scale while refilling, so
they go by weight, not gallons. That's still better than a Blue Rhino
exchange.

Blue Rhino is charging you for convenience and I am sure they also
factor in the number of expired tanks they end up taking. I know that
is the only kind I ever swap. ;-)
Walmart just opened a new store up the street from me with Blue Rhino
swaps for $15 and the cages are full of brand new tanks. I have
already swapped 2 that were so out of test my regular guy wouldn't
touch them.