Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default "Industry-standard" measurements and advertising

I have a 16-ft. "every-which-way" ladder that I've had for maybe 20
years, so when I saw what was described as a "22'" multifunction
ladder (Keller KMT-22) advertised at a considerable discount, I
thought it might be worth upgrading. BUT when I looked at the detailed
specs. it turns out that it's really only 18-ft 3-in. long: the
claimed "22'" is the height one can reach when standing on the highest
permitted rung; this, I am told, is the "industry-standard" method of
labeling ladders.

Combination ladder sizes are measured differently than step and
extension ladders. From the ANSI standard:

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/....1990.svg.html

American National Standard for Ladders €” Portable Metal €” Safety
Requirements

4. Definitions and Nomenclature
combination ladder. A portable ladder capable of being used either as
a stepladder or as a single or extension ladder. It may also be
capable of being used as a trestle ladder or a stairwell ladder. Its
components may be used as single ladders.

extension ladder. A non-self-supporting portable ladder adjustable in
length. It consists of two or more sections traveling in guides or
brackets or the equivalent and so arranged as to permit length adjustment.

stepladder. A self-supporting portable ladder, non-adjustable in
length, with flat steps and a hinged base.

6.1 Stepladders

6.1.1 Stepladder Size. Stepladders longer than 20 feet shall not be
supplied. The size shall be measured along the front edge of the front
side rail, including top cap and foot, with a tolerance of ±1/2 inch.
Heavyduty (type-I) and extra-heavy-duty (type-IA) ladders shall be 3
to 20 feet; medium-duty (type-II) ladders shall be 3 to 12 feet; and
light-duty (type-III) ladders shall be 3 to 6 feet in length (see
8.2.1.1).

6.2.4 Extension-Ladder Size. The size of an extension ladder is
designated by the sum of the lengths of one side rail of each section
measured along the side rails, excluding any foot or end cap. A
tolerance of ±3 inches per section shall be allowed. Extension ladders
shall not exceed the sizes specified in Table 1.

Extension ladders shall be marked to indicate both the total length of
sections and the maximum extended length or maximum working length.

6.5 Combination Ladders

6.5.1 Combination-Ladder Size. When the combination ladder is used as
a self-supporting ladder, the size is designated by the length of the
ladder measured along the front edge of the front side rail from the
bottom of the foot to the top of the top cap, or to the top step when
no top cap is used, with a tolerance of ±1/2 inch, and shall be within
the limits shown in Table 4.

When the combination ladder is used as an extension ladder, the
maximum extended length shall be at least twice the stepladder length
less 3 feet. The stepladder length and the maximum extension-ladder
length shall be within ±1/2 inch of the size indicated on the label.