Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default summary for hf clamps

On 11/4/2015 10:31 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Electric Comet writes:
On Mon, 02 Nov 2015 08:44:56 -0600
dpb wrote:

Try those from Dubuque Clamp Works...

had never heard of these
i read a review on one of their odd clamps with the novel grip mechanism

the reviewer complained that the face of the clamp left a mark on his
piece

Or more likely, the reviewer expected them to be similar
to the Bessy K-Body clamps, where it is unnecessary to
protect the work from the clamp face.

TRUE! Same style Jet clamp, Not so true. If Jet would fix this their
clamps would be great with more features than Bessey and the Cabinet
Masters combined.

Aside from Dubuque being a very pretty place (particularly
arriving from US 61 N), those clamps are quite nice and
affordable. The small clamp face does require clamping
pads to avoid marring the work.

I used the exact same aluminum clamps for years and oddly I don't ever
recall the clamps faces marring the work and I did not use scraps. In
fact the only clamps that I have used that do mar the wood are the Jet
clones and the old style pipe clamps.

If you consider Iowa to be flat, you've never been to Dubuque.