Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Bonner Martin Bonner is offline

Default Hot and cold fill washing machines

On Wednesday, 4 November 2015 09:48:35 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/11/15 23:34, alan_m wrote:
On 03/11/2015 17:26, Capitol wrote:

that mould growth in cold washing machines
is a problem that customers can live with.

Is mould due to cold fill or just steam from hot water condensing in
various parts of the machine?

It's due to not running a 90C wash every couple of weeks or so.
Miele now have a hygiene light that comes and and forces you to do one
as they've had problems with hoses getting fouled up plus "stinky drum".

Hmm. Not had mould problems in our washing machine, despite (I think)
*never* having done a 90C wash.

Re US machines: do they typically run at 120V or 240V? If the former,
that might be one of the reasons for hot-fill. (It's hard to get more
than 13-16A through a plug+socket, and 16A at 120V takes a long time
to heat anything - same reason boiling-water taps are more popular in
the US.)