Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
A2 A2 is offline

Default Question for our plastics or molding experts - epoxy castingmolds

On 3/11/2015 9:17 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 8:04:14 AM UTC-5, A2 wrote:
I'm working on a job where we are epoxy encapsulating some electronics.

My question - what to use for a pilot production mold?

Option 2.
---------
Plastic mold
CNC cut pockets in a ~30mm thick slab
Dowels adjacent recess to locate frame that aligns the electronics.
Is there a plastic that epoxy won't stick to - no release agent needed?
Nylon? UHMWPE? Maybe $$ Teflon?
I imagine a silicone or urethane mold may not be rigid enough.

Any suggestions? Recommendations?
Thanks!

I would try UHMWPE. It will be almost as good as Teflon as far as getting the mold to release the part. And it is quite a bit cheaper than Teflon. I would think it would be good for production molds.

Dan

Thanks, I'll chase up a sample of UHMWPE and do some adhesion / release
tests.