Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bizarre Electrical

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 10:33:34 -0800 (PST), wrote:

If the bare neutral shows voltage at the barn, check it's connections at/in the
house.

If I'm not mistaken, the ground and neutral should be bonded together at ONLY ONE place in the system and that is at the main box in the house that is fed by the meter.

The ground and neutral should NOT be bonded together at the main box in the barn or at any other place. (I'm assuming the barn is fed by the house and doesn't have it's own meter).

If you have problems with 120 loads but 240 loads are OK, then you have an open neutral. Don't try to solve that by bonding it to the ground. Find the open and correct it.

Mark

The house and barn are both fed from the "pole" - where the meter and
the main disconnect are, in most REA installations, and most rural
installations even today. The neutral and ground should be bonded at
the pole. At least that's how I've always seen it. Should not need
another ground at the barn or the house. - just going from memeory