Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes[_2_] Mike Barnes[_2_] is offline

Default Private SMS text mailbox

James Harris wrote:
On 03/11/2015 20:53, newshound wrote:

I have a Tesco sim which I keep in a "backup" phone, I think it might
have cost £1. Came in handy the other day when wife gave hers a short
ride in the washing machine. Couldn't switch it off, both the touch
screen and the power button were disabled but after stripping and drying
out everything worked again *apart* from the phone microphone. Oh well,
still useable for emergencies as a text phone.

Was that SIM from the days when they were not time limited? AFAICS
anything loaded onto a SIM now 'expires' after a month.

Fortunately that's not true for my Three PAYG SIM. The SIM is free, and
top-up credit lasts indefinitely. In theory I need to use it every six
months to keep it alive but that need cost only 2p (one text). In
practice I use it a fair amount and a £10 top-up lasts me about three
months. AFAIK those SIMs are still available.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England