Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Hot and cold fill washing machines

S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/3/2015 12:26 PM, Capitol wrote:
About 3 months ago, her machine started to throw itself around
the kitchen. I guessed at falling off weights as it's a pig to remove it
and left it alone. Having listened to her noises getting louder, I
decided to take the easy way out and buy a new hot and cold fill
machine. Sounds easy but it has taken weeks to find a couple. Today for
entertainment value I decided to try the local retailers as a source.
The first, a small local man, told me they don't exist any more and he
knows because the EU has banned them. I quickly enlightened him that he
is incompetent in my best Victor Meldrew manner. The next call was
Currys, who proudly announced that they only sell cold fill machines as
they are more efficient and that mould growth in cold washing machines
is a problem that customers can live with. The third call was the local
Argos, who very nicely checked with their customer services that they
did not for some reason sell hot and cold fill machines. Before I go on
line and buy the Statesman machine, does anyone know if any of the major
manufacturers offer such a machine? I even idly considered rebuilding
the 10 year old machine, before common sense crept in! ie, new
bearings,seals, springs and timer.

http://www.johnlewis.com/hotpoint-signature-wmsig9637bc-freestanding-washing-machine-9kg-load-a-energy-rating-1600rpm-spin-white/p1799315

I missed that one, but the 60 degree cycle time of 205 minutes
is totally unacceptable. It's also too big to fit the space. IMO the
spin speed is also too high for reliability.