Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Bizarre Electrical

On Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 2:39:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 10:33:34 -0800 (PST), wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the ground and neutral should be bonded together at
ONLY ONE place in the system and that is at the main box in the house
that is fed by the meter.

The ground and neutral should NOT be bonded together at the main box
in the barn or at any other place. (I'm assuming the barn is fed by the
house and doesn't have it's own meter).

As I said in a prior message, I have a meter pole that feds three
separate places (House, barn, garage). Each has a separate MAIN
disconnect panel. Each has ground rods, which are connected to the
neutral inside these panels. Also, there is a ground rod at the meter
pole too.

This is an older system so it may not be up to today's code
requirements. The house is the only panel that has a separate buss bar
for the ground and neutral. But that panel was replaced about three
years ago, when I rewired the house.

But as far as I know, every MAIN Disconnect needs ground rods, but
according to today's standards, these should NOT be connected to the
neutral. But in older systems that was not the case, and those panels
did not have separate buss bars for the ground.

The neutral and grounding system are most definitely tied together at
the main panel. The neutral and ground are separate at a subpanel.