Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT[_2_] EXT[_2_] is offline

Default "Industry-standard" measurements and advertising

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
I have a 16-ft. "every-which-way" ladder that I've had for maybe 20 years,
so when I saw what was described as a "22'" multifunction ladder (Keller
KMT-22) advertised at a considerable discount, I thought it might be worth
upgrading. BUT when I looked at the detailed specs. it turns out that it's
really only 18-ft 3-in. long: the claimed "22'" is the height one can
reach when standing on the highest permitted rung; this, I am told, is the
"industry-standard" method of labeling ladders.

I guess that if we didn't have decent regulations, we'd have 3-qt.
"gallons" of milk and gasoline, and 40-ft. reels of electrical wire
labeled as "50-ft."

I didn't buy the ladder.

Perce

I always understood that an extension ladder was measured by the sum of the
two lengths separately. A 22 foot ladder would be two 11 foot lengths, but
when put together for a long reach would have some overlap that reduced the
useable length to something like 18' 3". I suppose the manufacturer of a
"multifunction ladder" uses the same criteria (excuse) to compare the
ladders and to others. This would be the same as air compressor
manufacturers who boast of 5 horsepower with a motor that draws 7 amps.
Impossible.