Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default "Industry-standard" measurements and advertising

I have a 16-ft. "every-which-way" ladder that I've had for maybe 20
years, so when I saw what was described as a "22'" multifunction ladder
(Keller KMT-22) advertised at a considerable discount, I thought it
might be worth upgrading. BUT when I looked at the detailed specs. it
turns out that it's really only 18-ft 3-in. long: the claimed "22'" is
the height one can reach when standing on the highest permitted rung;
this, I am told, is the "industry-standard" method of labeling ladders.

I guess that if we didn't have decent regulations, we'd have 3-qt.
"gallons" of milk and gasoline, and 40-ft. reels of electrical wire
labeled as "50-ft."

I didn't buy the ladder.

Perce