Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Very cool, but expensive...

On 11/1/2015 7:46 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article om,
says...

On 11/1/2015 6:12 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,

says...

[snip]

The main advantage I see is that the fasteners are hidden. Needing to
remove a bannister is rare, but could be handy at times moving furniture
but I don't see that as a big selling point.

Dowels are hidden too, and a lot cheaper, so what do these things bring
to the table that dowels don't, if you're not planning on removing the
thing?

I don't wish to prolong the agony but...

Have you ever attempted to remove/separate a PROPERLY glued and doweled
joint? If you have, then you might understand where this device -
admittedly of limited, specialized application might be worth a shot.

A product like this, outside the box, is best suited for applications
which are also "outside the box."

You're missing the point. Why would one want to use this fastener in
preference to dowels or (perish the thought) joinery in a bannister in
"a high-end house"?

Simply for ease to remove for the refreshing the finish of the banister
out side of the house. Certainly in a high end home the smell of the
stripping products, paint, varnish, stain, what ever would be
objectionable.