Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default durock or green rock for shower

wrote:
On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 16:41:03 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

I'm tiling a very small quarter bath (shower) in the wet part of Oregon.
In other places, I've thought that the expense of Durock wasn't worth
it, but I'm leaning toward recommending it for this job.

I used Hardibacker for our showers. It's thinner and easier to cut.

The backerboard is a minimal cost compared to the rest of a tiling project.

Do it once, do it right.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Do it once, do it right. Use Kerdi (Shluter system)
Either standard Kerdi over whatever wallboard you want to use, or
KerdiBoard. You don't need soncrete backer with Kerdi, and you use
thinset - it is totally waterproof and pretty well goofproof. It is
not particularly cheap, but good seldom is. It has a handy "grid" for
helping to keep the tile-job square. They also have KerdiDrain for the
bottom of the shower (pan) to use with Ditra to make a waterproof
shower pan.

I have the Kerdi drain in anticipation of finishing my shower.

Greg