Terry Pinnell

Default Hotpoint freezer fault?

(Andrew VK3BFA) wrote:

Hello Terry,
as you have worked out by now this is not a complex engineering
problem (well, the mechanism is, but the cure is simple - and I must
clean my fridge/freezer as well, now its been mentioned). Leaving the
door open was enuff to tip it over the edge - it prcipitated moisture
in the air, probably on top of the thermostat hence the -1 degree
reading.
Frost free fridges dont have drip trays - during the defrost cycle,
the waste water is evaporated to the atmosphere so no problem. What I
would suggest for maintenance is have a loook at the fridge
compartment drain tube - its under the freezing coils in the back,
probably got a simple trough arrangement to feed waste water to it.
This gets blocked and things start to grow in the fridge - usually
behind the 5 year old bottles of (whatever) that live there. Use a
piece of insulated elictrical cable to ream it out. Makes a difference
to efficiency, hygiene, and is "good for the environment" - chant this
as you do a dirty mucky job, makes you feel more socially
responsible....
de VK3BFA Andrew.

Thanks Andrew. I recall the last (even worse) ice-up was indeed caused
by blockage in that fridge drain pipe. Your warning has been taken to
heart. I'll immediately make myself a screen saver with a floater like
'Clean that fridge!' g

VK3? Australia? Makes me nostalgic about my short wave listening days.
Must dust off my HF-225...

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK