Oppie

Default Vampire Appliances

The vampire thing was started a few years back by Power Integrations Corp
(afik) to push their high efficiency off-line switching supplies for standby
power.
http://www.powerint.com/slayingvampirespr.htm
http://www.powerint.com/nasdaqopeningpr.htm

Corny, Eh?
Oppie

"Watson A.Name - Watt Sun" wrote in message
m...
I was watching the local ABC News and they had a piece on vampire
appliances. They said that an appliance could be using about 5 watts
when it's turned off, and that's about $4.00 a month. This sounded a
bit high to me. But since I don't get an electric bill, I have no way
to tell.

5 watt-hours times 730 hours a month is 3650 watt-hours or 3.65 kWh.

More than a dollar a kWh?