Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Population growth

In message , Andy Cap
writes
On 29/10/15 16:01, Adrian wrote:

years (to 2039, since it's on 2014 figures)?

No mention of demographics there, though, and I think we all know which
way the average age is going... Rapidly.

Woo. With zero migration, we could be looking at the world's biggest
retirement home just off the northern shore of France... But at least
there won't be brown people working, earning, growing our economy, paying
taxes to cover our pensions.

How does this constant expansion of the young, paying for the elderly,
work indefinitely? Is there never to be a cap on the world's population?

In this morning's LBC Nick Ferrari phone-in, a phoner-inner made a very
good point.

He pointed out that encouraging the immigration of young workers, so
that their taxes could provide funding for the increasing number
long-living old folks, was actually a ponzi pyramid scheme.

Even if the immigrants can find homes and work, they themselves will
eventually join the ranks of long-living old folks - thus requiring more
immigrants to come and work to pay taxes etc etc, ad infinitum.

The real answer has to be working for longer, better spreading of
available resources or a drop in the expected standard of living.
There's no doubt the present generation have done very well but it's
not exactly their fault. Personally, I don't really care if my house is
worth £50,000 or £500,000!

Andy C

--
Ian