Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] geraldrmiller@yahoo.ca is offline

Default Compressor question, a bit off topic but shop related

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 13:58:17 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Steve W. wrote:

If you have to buy new I'd consider the Quincy first. IR has gone to the
dogs these days.

Yup, I found a Quincy 2-cyl one-stage compressor at a scrap yard. It was a
slightly oddball setup, pneumatic unloader and a 1 Hp motor turning it slow.
After getting it working, I got a 2 Hp motor, and built a computerized dual-
mode control (lets the compressor spin for a minute to see if there is a
demand for air before shutting the motor off.)

The local Quincy distributor gave me parts list/drawings for it, and had all
the items I needed (new safety relief, filters and oil) in stock, even
though it was 40 years old at the time. I've been using it for a decade
now, and will likely pass it on to my kids!

Jon

Don't know what I will do in event that my Gardner Denver should bite
the dust! I've got $3 tied up in that compressor, plus of course fifty
cents for the half horse motor, fifty cents for the 30lb. propane
tank, $80 for controls and prolly another ten bucks for misc. plumbing
and hardware. The fact that the output is about 2 CFM doesn't bother
me - a helluvalot better than 0 CFM - with lots of additional storage
capacity available and lack of time constaints, it's nice to have air
for impact wrench, brad nailer, sand blaster, needle scaler, air
hammer etc.
I do have a 1.5 HP motor so will probably check out Princess Auto's
smallest unit or try converting a lawnmower motor for compressor duty.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada