Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default HF clamps and ryobi eybolt/wingnut driver

On 10/29/2015 12:11 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
On 10/27/2015 7:49 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
i am tempted by the sirens of cheapness at harbor freight so i may buy a few
the word online is that the ryobi eyebolt/wingnut driver works on these
clamps once you remove the crappy stock handle

anyone tried this out

I have eight of the ones they sell now; the ones with the two-tone blue
handles. I have used all of them, although not too many times. I suspect
that trying to apply great force might be bad for these molded-on
handles, but the force they are capable of was plenty to make the glue
squeeze out, so they seemed useful at a very low cost. The "fit and
finish" doesn't seem too bad actually.

I've tried their "Quick-Grip" style clamps, but only in the store. Those
immediately felt like junk. I'm surprised they didn't break right there
in the store.

The HF "Quick-Grip" are indeed worthless, but the HF "Quick Gear Clamp"
of a couple of years ago are true gems, as good as the Bessey or
Jorgensen from which they were cloned.

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/46370

http://toolguyd.com/bessey-kliklamp-...ing-bar-clamp/
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Gear-Clamp/T21186

Hummmmm I'll have to take a look. The Besseys are "ok" I have had
problems with them holding for a period of time and then loosing their
grip. Bessey replace all 4 of mine with 6 and for certain 2 of those
have shown signs of not holding for long periods of time.