Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ESA-SAFE inspection

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 01:59:47 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 10/28/2015 8:00 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 19:19:20 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 10/28/2015 6:54 PM,
wrote:
Just had an ESA-SAFE inspection on my 40 year old house so I can
change insurance providers The Ontario Electrical Safety Authority
does the inspection (at a cost of almost $400 canadian) and it is a
pretty extensive inspection. The house passed with flying colours,
condition-wise - but to pass I need to GFI protect 2 counter-top
"splits", 2 bathroom outlets, and 2 outdoor outlets that also need to
have "in-use" weatherproof housings installed.

Don't you also have to protect the garage? Laundry area?
(or were these already covered)

The only things flagged were the outlets with 1.5 meters of the sinks
- kitchen and baths - and outdoors under 2.5 meters above finished
grade. I don't have to bring it up to current code (thank goodness)

This place is ~35+ and the outdoor, bathroom and garage requirements
were in place. Originally, the two outdoor, one garage and one per
bathroom outlets were all on a single GFCI-protected circuit.

Up here in Ontario carports need to be GFI'd, but not attached
garages.

Interesting. Here, a garage is GFCI'd regardless of attached or
carport. In a carport, you might also have to add protection from
"water splashes" (rainfall)

My basement , including the laundry, is totally finished. If the
basement was not finished I might need to protect more.

The one outdoor and the downstairs "powder room" are on the same
circuit so a GFI breaker would work EXCEPT the fridge is on the same
circuit. Can't GFI the fridge. Best way would be to run a separate
circuit for the fridge - but that is a LOT of work, what with the
garage at the opposite side of the house, the panel at the far end of
the garage, and everything finished. I'd need to run the wire up and
over the garage (means adding an attic access in the garage, then

You can't get *into* the space above the garage?

Not without cutting a hole in the seiling or the roof.

dropping the wire to the basement and across to below the fridge,
then up the wall. If we ever redo the kitchen again, that would be in
the cards - but that won't be happening for the forseable future since
we did a complete reno about 15 years ago - and it is still in
excellent condition.

Be thankful you have attic/basement! Here, most folks put EMT on the
exterior of the house -- up to the roof, and over. Looks like total
crap.

(Then, of course, you've got the DIYers who just run Romex without
the EMT! :-/ )

Really abvious to an inspector driving by - - - -