Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ESA-SAFE inspection

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 14:14:54 +1100, John G wrote:

expressed precisely :
On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 22:21:53 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 21:54:32 -0400,
wrote:

Just had an ESA-SAFE inspection on my 40 year old house so I can
change insurance providers The Ontario Electrical Safety Authority
does the inspection (at a cost of almost $400 canadian) and it is a
pretty extensive inspection. The house passed with flying colours,
condition-wise - but to pass I need to GFI protect 2 counter-top
"splits", 2 bathroom outlets, and 2 outdoor outlets that also need to
have "in-use" weatherproof housings installed.

The kitchen "splits" mean 2 Square D QO 215GFI breakers.
The outdoors will be pretty simple - just a simple pigtail to new GFI
outlets. The bathrooms are a bit more fun as the outlets are in ganged
boxes with a switch, and both have 1 12/3 and 2 12/2 cables coming
into the boxes, with 4 #12 conductors in one wire nut - on both line
and neutral.

The existing nuts are not AL approved, so need to be replaced. I
wanted to use Alumiconns - but they are not available up here
(although they ARE approved). The other decent alternative is the
Marrette ACS65 wire nut. So far none of my local electrical
wholesalers have the 65s in stock - only the too-small 63s

I have a few more to check tomorrow -
How do the "real" electricians do this kind of job when their
suppliers don't carry the required materials????

Do they "fudge" it like the original electrician (when AL specific
stuff didn't exist) and hope the inspector doesn't see it, or split
the connection into 3 and fill the box with smaller connections?????

Finding electrical components up here is starting to remind me of
Zambia and Burkina Faso - to get 5 parts you need to hit 10 suppliers
- on a GOOD day.

Someone like dale-electric.com should be able to help you.
Several years ago I had to order some strange size metric bolts from
Germany. 12mmx250mm stainless

Oh, I can get the Aluniconns from the states - about $3 US each in
quantity 25 - with another $40 in shipping and another $30 in
brokerage fees. That adds up pretty quickly - $145 US = about $193 -
about $7.75 Canadian each.

The ACS are not available in the USA but should be here in Canada -
just have to find a supplier that stocks them- if not locally at least
in their central warehouse. Lots of 63s around, but the 65s are
conspicuous by their absence!!!

Don't they allow WHOLE HOuSE GFI in Canada?

In AUS whole house including the fridge is allowable and mine was built
into the house when it was built in the mid 1980s, hence any additions
within the load limits are automaticly protected.

The RCD is a 30ma device. US and I assume Canada requires 5ma
protection.