Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default HF clamps and ryobi eybolt/wingnut driver

On 10/28/2015 1:02 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 10:35:37 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

If you are serious about woodworking and plan to use the clamps
often it is very likely that you will seldom use these clamps once
you replace them with better ones.

Many years ago I had a really big glue up and bought a bunch of HF
clamps. I had bought the big all wood clamps (a Jorgenson C clamp
knock off) and plain ductile iron clamps before and they worked
great.

Wine, beer and bourbon drinkers have a saying... "Life is too short to
drink cheap ___________!"

I'll add clamps to that. Over the years I have accumulated a large
collection of Jorgensen clamps of all shapes and sizes. I've also
bought some sets of Bessey's (courtesy of a tip here years ago on some
fantastic deal available from a major supplier - forget who but it MAY
have been Amazon).

Like Timex, all of the above take a licking and keep on ticking.
Nothing fancy, just a solid tool that continues to do what it is
supposed to do and does it well.

Perhaps only 30% of my collection were bought new. That's the beauty of
quality tools... somebody can abuse them and somebody like me can
stumble across them on Craigslist, garage sales, estate sales, etc. and
with a couple of enjoyable hours in the shop cleaning them up, have a
well worn but full functional clamp to add to the collection for pennies
on the dollar.