Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Check your HVAC surge protector -- fail reports

On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 7:05:15 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 10/26/2015 9:56 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 9:52:52 AM UTC-4, westom wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 12:19:21 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
This is an interesting topic, for sure, and I'm just dipping my toe in
it when there's a whole ocean of information.

Unfortunately, protection is about earthing - not about oceans.

Unfortunately, you're as clueless as ever. A Boeing 777 has surge
protection and it has no wire trailing behind, connected to earth.

Hint: It uses some of the same techniques that plug-in surge
protectors use.

But Tom will never learn. Maybe some of those that read the post
though will.

I think he's talking about things on the ground, not things in the air.

--
Maggie

The point is that you're new buddy, WTom, claims that there can be no
protection against surges without an earth ground. An airplane is
protected from lightning, while it's in the air. And part of the way
they do it is using the same technique that a plug-in surge protector
uses. Of course WTom won't acknowledge or explain that. But it's
fun to keep him dancing.

You, Clare, WTom are all down a rat hole with UPS's. A UPS
will offer some protection against surges, but it's not it's
main, intended, function. You said you
had one or more PCs damaged by lightning that were using a plug-in
surge protector. I told you the most probative thing is were they
multi-port surge protectors that routed cable, phone, etc, ie any
other lines connected to the PC through it as well? Or were they ones
that were AC surge protection only? If it was the latter, your
damage is explained in the IEEE guide, section 5. You can read it
for yourself, or you can listen to loons.

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lhm/IEEE_Guide.pdf