Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Credit where due

On 10/26/2015 11:23 AM, philo wrote:
On 10/26/2015 01:06 PM, Don Y wrote:
Xem.

I've kept:
- a Compaq Portable 386 w/ expansion chassis (lunchbox, plasma screen) as

Wow, now that is a keeper

It's not particularly fast. And, I had to modify the BIOS ROMs to
get it to accept a 600MB (that's *MB* not *GB*) hard disk. But,
it gives me the ISA slots and "stores" a keyboard and display
in the same box -- so, when I need it, I don't have to find an external
keyboard, external display, etc.

I also have a carrying case for it. The case is expandable to
account for configurations WITH and WITHOUT the expansion chassis
hanging off the side!

Battery is perpetually dead, regardless of how often I repair it
(it's a proprietary battery module soldered onto the main board
so you can't just drop in new batteries!)

my sole ISA machine (I have a coprocessor that requires an ISA bus)
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=1065&st=1
- a Compaq Portable III as spare parts for the 386, esp the display and
odd form factor 5" floppies
http://www.oldcomputers.net/compaqiii.html
- a Sun Blade 2000 for Solaris/SPARC development (heavy beast! I think
it is like 75 pounds!)

Had a SPARC but gave it away

I have probably had every model SPARCstation, in the past. I was
very fond of an LX (nice, small form factor, quiet, reasonably
low power) that I'd upgraded to 128MB of RAM. It was a nice little
HTTP/FTP server for many years (it was quiet enough that I
could leave it running in my bedroom, 24/7, and not be disturbed
by it)

By comparison, the SB2000 is more like a server in terms of
noise level. The power supply itself is ~15# and the size of
three or four widescreen laptops, stacked atop each other.

some of the machines aI have left though are the

Compaq "sewing machine"

I had one, years ago. Very heavy. The Portable 386 is *almost* as heavy
(esp with the expansion chassis) but much denser; marginally easier to
lug around than the original "portable". But, you still "lean to one side"
when carrying it!

A Kaypro

a Zenith Data Systems 286 that I put an ISA RAM expansion card just so I could
say I have a 286 with 16 megs of RAM

My 386/25's had 13MB of RAM. And a 60MB disk! And, I was *enamored* with
"all that memory"! How quickly times change! :

an IBM PS/2
and some Apple SE's

so I still have a decent colletion

I don't "collect" anything (stamps, baseball caps, computers, antiques,
etc.) but, rather, stockpile things for which I have a current or future
use. As these sorts of things take up lots of space, there's little
room for "things that need to be dusted" (collections).

I've been methodically moving all of my paper records, books, etc.
to electronic media in an attempt to "recover" the space that they
consume (when I moved here, I had *80* "Xerox boxes" full of
paperback novels; I've trimmed that to *two* boxes of "must keeps").

There are 10 computers in my little office but 6 of them "share"
the 7 displays (each display has an A/B selector switch so I
put one computer on the A input and another on the B input; push
a button to toggle between computers instead of having to add displays
or move cables). The other 4 machines are run headless and accessed
via telnet or via X servers. Less hassle than trying to cram all of
the functionality embodied in those 10 machines onto a fewer number
of machines (and less hassle when time comes to update one of them
and move all that software!)