Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Check your HVAC surge protector -- fail reports

On 10/24/2015 10:31 AM, westom wrote:
On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 11:53:57 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. You mentioned a nuclear hardened
communication facility. What exactly is that? Were you like an engineer?

Military communication facilities must be 'hardened' to even withstand nuclear blasts -
both the explosive force and electromagnetic transients.

Some telephone exchanges (COs) are even hardened. Their walls were lined in lead.

I stated multiple times that I am an engineer.

ahh. I probably missed reading the post where you said that, but I
thought you might be based on the information you talk about in your posts.

Defined was a difference between
electricians (or technicians) and engineers to further make the difference obvious:
"Concepts such as low impedance are not taught to electricians. Electricians
know what must connect to what for human safety. Code is only about human safety
- not about transistor safety. Sometimes we had to teach electricians how to wire
to also exceed code requirements."

An electrician typically would not understand basic electrical principles that,
for example, are required to understand electrical concepts such as impedance and
equipotential. Electricians are taught how to wire stuff - not necessarily why.

My father-in-law was an electrical engineer.

--
Maggie