Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Check your HVAC surge protector -- fail reports

On 10/24/2015 10:17 AM, westom wrote:
On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 11:42:21 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
We now have battery back-up/surge protectors for our computers that's
supposed to protect from those sort of lightning issues.

Read specification numbers. How many joules does it claim to absorb? Hundreds? A destructive surge is hundreds of thousands of joules. That UPS could not have a smaller protector part. Yes it is a protector. It has just enough joules (near zero) so that advertising and salesmen can claim it has 100% protection. Subjective claims mean nothing. Numbers are esesntial for perspective.

I don't really expect the back-up to protect from a major lightning
strike. It's more to protect from power surges like when the wind is
blowing and the power goes off briefly and back on again.

--
Maggie