Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default WWYD?

On 10/25/2015 6:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/25/2015 8:32 PM, Don Y wrote:

You *can* conduct business, but not exchange money.

Fine:
Society says it's perfectly acceptable to EXCHANGE MONEY on Friday
evenings,
Sundays, etc. Nothing Wrong about it.

Yet, jews would consider Friday night MONEY EXCHANGING to be Wrong.
Christians would consider Sunday MONEY EXCHANGING to be wrong.

Catholics are not supposed to perform servile work on Sunday. You can exchange
money by using your church envelope.

https://www.catholicculture.org/cult...x.cfm?id=36428
Originally the work done by serfs from which they were freed on Sundays and
holy days in order to worship God. Until recently, servile work, forbidden on
Sundays, was work that was chiefly physical. At present servile work is heavy
manual labor, or such work as in a given society people commonly associate with
strenuous effort and do not engage in when they have the freedom to avoid it.
Implicit in the Church's prohibition of servile work on Sundays is fidelity to
the divine commandment to keep holy the Sabbath. This means avoiding activities
that would hinder renewal of soul and body, i.e., needless work or business,
unnecessary shopping or housekeeping.

Christianity includes more than just Catholics.

Historically, the (christian) sabath (sat PM- sun) was intended to be a
time void of commerce and recreation. At one time, there were laws against
drinking, working, traveling, etc. on Sunday.

As a kid, I can recall the *beer* display in the supermarket being
covered (with a giant "window shade" sort of device) after 8PM
on Saturday -- even though the supermarket remained open (and into
Sunday!). Yet, we could drive across the state line and buy
until 11P. Here, there are no prohibitions regarding beer/liquor on
Sundays.

In Colorado, you couldn't sell a car on Sunday. Here, the dealerships
are typically closed on Sunday -- but, my understanding is that this
is by convention, not law (i.e., you can find select vendors who are
willing to do business on Sunday).

I.e., all of these things are still "wrong" in the religious sense
yet the secular world has decided they are "OK".

OTOH, the catholic church seems to routinely decide to rewrite
what's "acceptable" -- in a manner that is suggestive of a marketing
campaign! (gays, second marriages, etc.) I wonder if they've got some
grand master copy of their bible locked away someplace and a big
jar of WhiteOut... :