Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default WWYD?

On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 12:48:16 AM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
On 10/24/2015 8:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 12:24:23 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
On 10/24/2015 9:06 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 10:42:38 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

I may be an atheist but that doesn't mean I don't believe their
is a Right and a Wrong.

How are those 2 things even remotely connected?

~30 years ago, I had a discussion with a "Holy Roller"
neighbor in which I mentioned my atheism. Mouth agape,
her reply was: "But how do you know what's Right and
Wrong??" -- which left *me* with my mouth agape: if
you need some guy in a fancy robe to tell you Right vs. Wrong,
I'm SURE GLAD you spend a day each week listening to
SOMEONE who gives you that perspective!

So, ~30 years ago some idiot made a comment that made no sense.

Since anyone with half a brain knows that the two items have nothing to do
with each other, why did you feel a need to bring it up?

By your definition, most of the world has less than half a brain.
People use religion to give them their notion of "morality"; the rules
by which they (in theory, "strive to") live their lives.

The 10 Commandments, the Torah, Koran, etc. all offer rules and
guidelines for their followers as they pass through "earthly life".
They define what's Right and Wrong in the contexts of their
teachings.

What role do *you* think religion plays in the world? In people's
lives? Just a reason to "get together" on a regular basis??
A chance to play BINGO?

You really have no clue what my initial comment was all about, do you?

Let me make it simple:

My question had nothing - absolutely nothing - about the role of religion in anyone's life. I couldn't
care less what your religious beliefs are. My question was nothing more than an inquiry into why
you chose to connect 2 things that have no connection

For some reason, you chose to make a connection between atheism and knowing right from
wrong.

That's akin to saying:

I may be Japanese, but that doesn't mean I don't believe their (sic) is a Right and a Wrong.

Or

I may be short, but that doesn't mean I don't believe their (sic) is a Right and a Wrong.

Or

I may be female, but that doesn't mean I don't believe their (sic) is a Right and a Wrong.

There was simply no reason to make the comparison you made, expect perhaps, because some
idiot made a stupid comment ~30 years ago. Do you honestly think that people need to be
told that atheists know the difference between right and wrong?

Again, don't turn this into a religious discussion. Leave it right where it started, with a
connection between 2 things that had no need to be connected.