Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default food safe instant glue?

On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 5:39:03 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:
On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 4:28:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 4:24:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I assume that taking it apart to put in a helicoil or Keensert takes too long.

What about making a replacement part complete with keensert and just remove and replace. Might be faster than putting a keensert in the existing part.

There is crazy glue used in place of stitches in surgery. Don't know if it is food safe, but I would think it is. Maybe contact your local emergency room to find out if the stuff used for surgery is food safe and where to get it.

And then there is something like putting a wooden match stick in a stripped out screw hole. Maybe aluminum wire or wood from a wooden dowel.

I expect none of the above is possible, but they might give you an idea of something that is possible.

Dan

Oh yes , filing a flat or drilling a dimple so the set screw is not trying to grip a smooth shaft.

Dan

I appreciate the suggestions, but I guess i wasn't clear. The part does not have a setscrew to hold it on the shaft, it has a clamping screw to squeeze its split hole onto the shaft, and it can't squeeze tight enough.

I have thought about running a hacksaw blade through the slot to allow for more squeeze, but the hole itself is pretty well buggered, and squeezing tighter will make for less contact area, I think.

Surprisingly, the cyanoacrylates used in surgery are not designated food safe, neither are the UV curing acrylics used in dentistry. Apparently something has changed recently about this, as I see many references on the web to adhesives that are food safe, and then checking the manufacturer's sites, see that they specifically point out that they are NOT food safe. Rhino glue is one example. Lots of references in various forums, but manufacture is very specific in saying that it is NOT food safe.

while I agree that this is an example of too much government (actually, it's just two parts of the same agency (FDA) not being on the same page), I can't use anything that isn't documented food safe on these machines.

what I may try is drilling the hole round again, and then making a sleeve of shim stock to snug it up. What do y'll think about that?

BTW, see he http://www.permabond.com/blog/2015/0...ves-permabond/ for permabond's reasoning. I will contact them in the morning to find out about heating epoxies to speed them up, but I don't hold out a lot of hope for making them really fast.