Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default food safe instant glue?

On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 5:33:11 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message
I'm working on a piece of pharmaceutical equipment that has a minor
mechanical problem. There's an aluminum piece about 1" x 1/4" x 1/2"
that fits on a steel shaft. The aluminum is split and tightened with a
set screw. The problem is that the hole in the AL is somewhat
buggered, and I can't tighten the setscrew enough to get a really
solid grip.

I can't shut the machine down long enough to do a proper repair, so I
was thinking that I could just glue the sucker in place. Ordinarily,
I'd think that even green loctite 290 would do the job without any
disassembly, or even just some "Crazy glue". The problem is that
neither of them is food safe, and rules are rules.

I have found several silicones that are food safe, but they all have
curing times measured in tens of hours. The most they'll tolerate here
is more like ten minutes, during a lunch break or shift change.

So... any suggestions?

Stainless shim stock?

This is great thin, stiff material if you can find a small piece:
http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-makin...-to-2240f.html

I've used aluminum auto body tape for shimming, to fit a Morse #2
arbor snugly into my B&S #7 mill spindle for instance, but it might
shed particles.

-jsw

We just posted pretty much the same idea at the same time as you. I'm thinking that I might drill the hole out to make it round and then add some shim stock to make it fit. In this particular case, it doesn't have to be SS, as this machine is wiped down to clean it, rather than washed with a hose.