Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Where Do You Get Those Light Bulbs In Series With Tweeters ?

On 25/10/2015 8:49 AM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

On 24/10/2015 3:07 PM, wrote:
Cylindrical. Axial leads.

Ordered caps for a speaker crossover because the leads had literally
been shaken out of the originals. But I had no luck finding those
bulbs. I would rather not jump it out. I guess I could and just put a
beefier horn in it.

**Select an appropriate sized Polyswitch™. Cheap, reliable and effective.

Polyswitches are not compressors.

**Correct. They're much better. They protect drivers, without
significant audible problems (like compression).

Do you think you would be able to hear such a compression problem?

**Absolutely. I've proven it, under blind test conditions, to clients
who own speakers that are equipped with such things.

OK, but the point I didn't quite make yesterday was that you would only hear
such a compression "problem" if the system was being abused, i.e.
overdriven.
This is when the compression kicks in, to protect the tweeter.

To single out the compression as a problem is to completely ignore the
simple fact that this is happening because of a far bigger problem
elsewhere, and the volume needs to be reduced before something blows up.

Gareth.