Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Mystery Tool

On 10/24/2015 11:36 PM, Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 20:07:18 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

As you can see, John is looking for some help.

Lew

My GF's brother sent me these photos of a mysterious tool . Looks
handy
for pulling on all sorts of stuff, but what was its INTENDED use?

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-1.jpg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-2.jpg

http://www.boat-links.com/images/MT/MysteryTool-3.jpg

"I have had this thing in my tool chest for as long as I can remember.
have no idea how I acquired it, have never used it, and don't know
what it
is for. If you know what it is, please let me know. It is driving me
nuts.

"Only visible marking is "Made in Japan". Only one of the finger rings
moves, and when it is squeezed closed, the cam shaped pieces come
together
tightly as to grip something. Total size is about 2.5" x 2.5".

"Correct answer (or best guess) wins you a prize.

"Thanks for playing!

"Jim"

I'd say it looks like a tool tor tensioning wires - or strings.
Possibly in the textile business?

My wild guess was that it's for handling film in a dark room.
I have little basis for that guess, and an Internet search did not
validate it.

Absolutely not.

--
Jeff