Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Laser printer went blank

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 23:53:15 -0700, DaveC wrote:

Brother HL-5170DN

The next-to-last page I printed was faded—very pale text. The next one was
blank, white.

If it was the fuser I know I’d see the text on the page but it would be
just powdered toner and smear easily. Not so.

Lots of toner. Still, I took out the cart and shook it around and
reinstalled. No joy.

If it faded like that, I would guess(tm) that you're out of toner. Try
a different or new toner cart anyway.

Also, I've seen the shutter mechanism jam or break on the toner cart
or at the entrance slot to the laser scanner. Play with the toner
cart mechanism and see if the protective shutters are operating
normally.

Just for grins, try a test page from the printer, not the computah. If
the test page works, look for computer problems.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D