ARWadsworth

Default How much light for a garage?

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
(Rich) wrote in message

. com...
Hi folks,

I will shortly be introducing my (detached) garage to the wonders of
modern electricity. Short of trial and error, does anyone know of a
good rule of thumb for deciding how much light and heat is required
per m^2? The garage is only slightly larger than a car, and will be
used for tinkering and storage (but not of cars), and perhaps the odd
bit of tumble-drying.

Part of me wants to say "3 strip lights and a 3kW heater", but I can't
help thinking there must be a more scientific way.

I guess it would be nice to know this in general, since my whole house
appears to be underlit and underheated.

TIA, Rich

Hi

I'd make it one 5' fluorescent light plus a white ceiling to soften
the light. More enthusiastic folk might run to 2 strips, but 3.... no,
just plain unpleasant.

Regards, NT

Also "nice" bulk head light on the wall over a workbench works wonders for a
few quid. It also reduces the flicker when tinkering, especially with a
circular saw.

--
Adam