Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Check your HVAC surge protector -- fail reports

On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 12:33:52 PM UTC-4, westom wrote:
On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 12:00:28 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
Funny I don't recall seeing that stated here even once.

trader_4 again admits to ignoring. The engineer did this stuff. trader_4 obviously did not. How many times was that posted - and ignored?

Electricians are only taught what must connect to what. Electricians are not taught impedance, equipotential, electromagnetic wave theory, circuit theory, semiconductor electronics, or the other relevant electrical concepts that explain why we do surge protection. That point is significant. Electricians are taught about human safety; not about transistor safety.

Some electricians do not upgrade earth ground. They only know what code requires. Would not understand why that same ground wire must be shorter - ie less than 10 feet, no sharp bends, etc. Electricians are not taught how electricity works; are only taught what is required to install it safely. As explained previously and multiple times.

Fewer and better electricians learn why a connection from protector to earth must have no sharp bends and must not be inside a metallic conduit.

How many times was this posted - and he still denies it?

How many times was what posted and I denied it? Are you hallucinating now?

Even his own citations recommend a 'whole house' solution - where earth ground is the most critical component. He still denies it. He even denies a fire threat.

And I never denied that they do. I said from the start that the
correct strategy is a tiered solution. YOU are the one denying that
both the NIST guide and the IEEE guide endorse the use of plug-in
surge protectors. Martzloff:

"Plug-in Surge Protectors

This is the easiest solution and there are a wide variety of brands
in the stores. These come in two forms: a box that plugs directly
into a wall receptacle or a strip with a power cord and multiple outlets."

And you ignore that in many cases, people may not be able to put
in a whole house surge protector. In a rental house or apartment,
for example. For them, plug-ins, while not being as good as a
tiered solution, do offer some amount of reasonable protection.
Apparently Martzloff, who you cite, agrees.