Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Check your HVAC surge protector -- fail reports

On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 10:31:47 AM UTC-5, westom wrote:
On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 11:53:57 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. You mentioned a nuclear hardened
communication facility. What exactly is that? Were you like an engineer?

Military communication facilities must be 'hardened' to even withstand nuclear blasts - both the explosive force and electromagnetic transients.

Some telephone exchanges (COs) are even hardened. Their walls were lined in lead.

I stated multiple times that I am an engineer. Defined was a difference between electricians (or technicians) and engineers to further make the difference obvious:
"Concepts such as low impedance are not taught to electricians. Electricians know what must connect to what for human safety. Code is only about human safety - not about transistor safety. Sometimes we had to teach electricians how to wire to also exceed code requirements."

An electrician typically would not understand basic electrical principles that, for example, are required to understand electrical concepts such as impedance and equipotential. Electricians are taught how to wire stuff - not necessarily why.

Someone getting training as an electrician may not necessarily get electronic theory training but often get training in electrical theory and I can assure you that many people working as electricians know a lot more about electrical and electronic theory than you may think. Most electricians can read, I hope. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Electrical Monster