Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Laser printer went blank

"N_Cook" wrote in message
On 24/10/2015 07:53, DaveC wrote:
Brother HL-5170DN

The next-to-last page I printed was faded€”very pale text. The next one
was
blank, white.

If it was the fuser I know Id see the text on the page but it would be
just powdered toner and smear easily. Not so.

Lots of toner. Still, I took out the cart and shook it around and
reinstalled. No joy.

Where to start looking?

Thanks.

If there is no dusting or latent image on the drum/transfer sheet, when
halting the machine mid-cycle and opening up, then failed corona generator
perhaps

That would be my guess - AFAICR: the laser discharges the static charge on
the photoconductive film at the points where no toner should be attracted
to.

I think a failed laser would result in a completely black page, maybe the
transistor that drives the laser going leaky - but that's in a critical
constant current loop, a leaky transistor would probably destroy the laser.