Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Just ordered a bike engine

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 23:22:43 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 21:47:37 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:14:25 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 07:39:16 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

How'd the Wabbit do in the ice and snow?
I bought it in the spring and sold it in September or October.

I had forgotten that Fort Frozen Wilderness thawed at times.

Grok Jim's post Civics, Saabs, and Wabbits. IIRC, the first
front-drive vehicles in the USA were touted as being the safest on
ice, with their pulling v. pushing tires. I'd imagine that studded
tires would tremendously increase that.

Here are 2 somethings I'll never do, either:
http://photos.imageevent.com/motorbi...r-Snow-Ski.jpg
https://motorcyclemaniac.files.wordp...portbikes3.jpg

I haven't yet owned a FWD or 4WD vehicle, but I'd kinda like to have
little bugout diesel motorcycle some day.
http://tinyurl.com/q4wb55m (+ blonde) or http://tinyurl.com/qgkvlrs
I loved cruising the trails in me yout.

Studs didn't help at all on packed snow.

I cruised the snowmobile trails and frozen lakes on my dirt bike, with
Trials Universal tires.

Actually on hard packed snow the studs were a small advantage -not
nearly as much as on ice. I had studs on the '63 Valiant but they
were outlawed in southern Ontario about the time I bought the Dart. I
put a lot of miles on the Dart and wore out the snows and also wore
out a set of chains. It was a '69 and it had over 200,000 miles on it
when I sold it in '72.

I did some ice racing on Rose Lake in MIchigan in the late '60s. The
classes had nothing to do with engine size. They were "engine over
drive wheels," "front engine, rear wheel drive," and "studs." No studs
were allowed in the first two classes, and no four-wheel drive.

The studs were a *huge* advantage. Before the cars raced, there were
motorcycly races. Studs on both wheels, of course. The "studs" they
used were sharpened bolts, with over an inch protruding through the
tires, which had been drilled with holes for the bolts, and washers
and nuts on the outside of the tires.

The fastest "engine over drive wheels" car was a '61 'Vette with the
special tires Sears had made for the Pike's Peak Hillclimb. They were
very soft, with crushed walnut shells mixed in with the outer rubber
compound. Drive a mile or two on paved roads, and the walnut shells
worked their way out. The result looked like coarse sponge rubber.
With no shells visible, the race organizers allowed them.

The second-fastest was a '67 MG Midget with Pirelli Cinturatos, from
NJ. g My little MG would nuzzle down in the tracks torn up by the
studded motorcyles. Racing with the top up and the heater on was a
little different...

--
Ed Huntress