Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just ordered a bike engine

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 21:47:37 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:14:25 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 07:39:16 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

How'd the Wabbit do in the ice and snow?
I bought it in the spring and sold it in September or October.

I had forgotten that Fort Frozen Wilderness thawed at times.

Grok Jim's post Civics, Saabs, and Wabbits. IIRC, the first
front-drive vehicles in the USA were touted as being the safest on
ice, with their pulling v. pushing tires. I'd imagine that studded
tires would tremendously increase that.

Here are 2 somethings I'll never do, either:
http://photos.imageevent.com/motorbi...r-Snow-Ski.jpg
https://motorcyclemaniac.files.wordp...portbikes3.jpg

I haven't yet owned a FWD or 4WD vehicle, but I'd kinda like to have
little bugout diesel motorcycle some day.
http://tinyurl.com/q4wb55m (+ blonde) or http://tinyurl.com/qgkvlrs
I loved cruising the trails in me yout.

Studs didn't help at all on packed snow.

Perhaps not, but snow isn't nearly as slick as ice, from my very
limited experience. BTDT, you can have it.

I cruised the snowmobile trails and frozen lakes on my dirt bike, with
Trials Universal tires.

Interesting! What's different about the Trials tires? One would
expect them to be a bit softer and stickier than regular knobbies, to
do the slow crawls up the near vertical sides of rocks like a gecko. I
don't think I ever touched tires on any of the few Trials bikes I've
been around. The extreme (1.5-2" long) knobbies my friend, Ken, used
on his Husky 400 "Trencher" were semi-hard. It was named when he
kiddingly asked "Anyone need a trench dug?" as he proceeded to dig one
with the brand new knobbie. I think debris was still falling a minute
later, after he toggled the throttle from WFO to OFF. That was a
scaryass bike with a 1/4-turn throttle which felt like a simple toggle
switch. I thanked my lucky stars the one time I rode it when I found
that the throttle was a reverse. You roll it forward to gas it. That
allowed me to have more of a Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. (infamously boring
Disneyland ride) Ken won quite a few LoCal races on that beastie.

-
To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want
to change the world who are causing all the trouble.
--Anonymous