Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_6_] John B.[_6_] is offline

Default Torches can flame without propane tank connected!

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 23:41:08 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have had that style of torch for more than 30 years and have never had
it more than "poof" when triggered off the "tank".

I just did the following: let it burn upside down for a minute, then let
it sit upside down for 20 minutes. I took it off the tank and triggered
it - it only poofed.

The guy is not a troll - he has hundreds of videos on YouTube. Mostly
about artificial reefs and his farm. BTW - he is not a farmer - he is a
vet with an 80 acre hobby farm. Very sincere.

I don't think that his video is faked. The only explanation I can
advance is that his torch is defective. I had another brand of
all-position torch once that was not working right & I tried to fix. In
taking it apart, I found that it had a separate chamber that I assumed
was for vaporizing liquid propane that was delivered in the upside down
condition. Perhaps his torch is defective in letting liquid into this
chamber (which, IIRC, could hold 5-10cc). Wait ... I just re-watched
and he said that he had it happen on "several" different torches. So, I
dunno.

However, it's not the brand of propane. He says that some brands let
propane "leak into the torch" when they're off. That is just plain
ignorant! Anytime a torch is attached to any tank, the tank's integral
valve is opened and gas enters the torch.

Another thought: he is in winter clothes in the video & maybe the
(Minnesota) winter temperature has something to do with it. Let's see:
if you put the torch on a _warm_ tank and let it sit in the cold, the
gas in the tank would have a higher vapor pressure than gas in the torch
chamber and you would get transfer. Vaporization in the tank and
condensation in the torch. It's possible.

Bob

Err... doesn't propane boil at something like -43 (F)? How cold does
it get there in YouTube land?
--
cheers,

John B.