Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default OT? picking fruit

On 10/23/2015 9:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 10/23/2015 6:28 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Don Y:
In the past, we've used a "picking basket" to yank the fruit
off the tree. Something like:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Temper-10-ft-Aluminum-Handle-Fruit-Picker-2324500/100466198

I stumbled on this device:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Twister-Fruit-Picker/dp/B000BBCUD8
details at:
http://www.twisterfruitpicker.com/how-it-works/
that looks like it could be gentler on the trees (twisting the
fruit on their stems usually results in a cleaner removal with
less risk to damaging the tree, tearing off branches, etc).

I made a few of these for my apples:
http://www.instructables.com/id/PVC-FRUIT-PICKER/

OK, I see how it is intended to work. I'm not sure it would
(physically) "fit" here -- see photos posted up-thread.

Broken windsurfer masts made nice light poles.

Box cutter blades instead of the razor blades shown - plus a Dremel tool
to take the points off the ends of the blades (don't ask how I
discovered the necessity for that.... ).

I think the real solution is the "twist off" approach. The lower branches
get picked by hand, like that, and it's quick and easy. Never "damage"
anything in the process.

By contrast, when we used the "basket" we ended up with a fair number
of broken branches. Branches take longer to grow back than fruit!

Not too bad once you get the feel for aligning the razor blade just so
before pulling. Blades should be replaced each season for best effect.

OTOH, we only use them once a year on less than a dozen trees.

It takes us a few hours to pick each tree. We try to leave the navels on
the tree as long as possible and just pick them as we eat them. Every
extra day lets the sugars develop further. The lemons, limes and
valencias get picked clean and juiced (though they all come ready
at different times of the year).

Taking out the trash after one of these "juicing days" is always tedious;
the juiced hulks weigh a sh*tload!

Now I was some fresh juice. {makes note on grocery list}

--
Maggie