Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe[_4_] John Doe[_4_] is offline

Default Torches can flame without propane tank connected!

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I have had that style of torch for more than 30 years and have never
had it more than "poof" when triggered off the "tank".

I just did the following: let it burn upside down for a minute, then
let it sit upside down for 20 minutes. I took it off the tank and
triggered it - it only poofed.

The guy is not a troll

Very likely less of a troll than most UseNet posters.

- he has hundreds of videos on YouTube. Mostly about artificial reefs
and his farm. BTW - he is not a farmer - he is a vet with an 80 acre
hobby farm. Very sincere.

I don't think that his video is faked. The only explanation I can
advance is that his torch is defective. I had another brand of
all-position torch once that was not working right & I tried to fix.
In taking it apart, I found that it had a separate chamber that I
assumed was for vaporizing liquid propane that was delivered in the
upside down condition. Perhaps his torch is defective in letting
liquid into this chamber (which, IIRC, could hold 5-10cc). Wait ... I
just re-watched and he said that he had it happen on "several"
different torches. So, I dunno.

Without experience using torches, just watching a few videos... The only
other thing that comes to mind besides a defective torch is that those
Coleman tanks have been overfilled.

However, it's not the brand of propane. He says that some brands let
propane "leak into the torch" when they're off. That is just plain
ignorant! Anytime a torch is attached to any tank, the tank's
integral valve is opened and gas enters the torch.

Another thought: he is in winter clothes in the video & maybe the
(Minnesota) winter temperature has something to do with it.

It's probably very cold in that video. Not likely making it for the
insane purpose of fooling people just for kicks. If I were concerned
about the torch safety thing, I might ask questions of the author.

Got to love the firearms. I wouldn't find them useful, but the rifle
looks cool.

--

Let's see: if you put the torch on a _warm_ tank and let it sit in the
cold, the gas in the tank would have a higher vapor pressure than gas

Bob