Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

On 10/23/2015 6:01 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 10/23/2015 11:05 AM, Don Y wrote:
The problem most folks have is that they don't *use* these units of
measure.
When was the last time you *used* a measuring cup? Measured teaspoon?

About eight hours ago...

Then, chances are, you are at least familiar with *that* unit of measure!

I bake weekly and use measured amounts in many of the meals that I
prepare. So, the idea of converting between units is never something
I think about -- I just *do* it.

Items that require certain amounts (e.g., the detergent used to wash
the car; herbicide used in the yard; insecticide used around the house;
etc.) each have dedicated little "measuring cups" neatly labeled and
stored with each of these items to make the NEXT use simple.

[I have no desire to risk cross contamination from one of these
substances with any other! And, the amounts involved are often
on the order of an ounce or so. Many products that we purchase
come with "complementary" plastic measuring cups -- INTENDED for
use with that particular product (e.g., the protein powder that
I periodically drink). Instead of using it for that product, put
it in a drawer for the NEXT product that "needs" a dedicated
measuring cup!]

Note that many items that are diluted like this have already been
formulated to make these ratios/amounts convenient (for US units
of measure). E.g., the car wash detergent is 1:128 -- so, 1 oz in
1 gallon of water; not 1 in 100 (as you'd expect in a metric world!).
I'm sure it just causes the manufacturer to add more/less of
certain ingredients (water?!) to the product when they sell it!

The annoying things are those like chlorine bleach that has to be
diluted by some oddball amount to achieve the concentration I've
been used to using for the past eternity!