Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 16:43:26 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 13:59:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Doing some vehicle work yesterday. SAE socket set
won't work, becuae 10 MM is between 3/8 and 7/16.
And 13 MM is between 1/2 and 9/16.

Suppose I buy metric socket set. Will I have the
same problem workign on English size fasteners?

Do I need to wrench sets in each vehicle?

You buy a "combo set". SAE and Metric. I have sockets and wrenches
in combo sets. It ticks me off American made cars require both.

I've never done anything requiring sockets on my occasional trips
overseas, so I'll ask this question.

Are the socket "drive connection" sizes 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" squares
there like they are on metric sockets here in the USA or are they metric
sizes?

Well, all the socket sets I used in Zambia and in Burkina Faso were
1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch. Some came from Germany, some from France, some
from England, some from Japan, and some from China.

When I was service manager with Toyota, all the special service tools
supplied by Toyota from Japan were 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 inch drive.