Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default A bit OT, A rant about tool web sites

On 10/23/2015 11:51 AM, John McCoy wrote:
woodchucker wrote in
:

On 10/22/2015 5:42 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Now, if you want to make recalls the determining factor
in choosing a car, you should get a Volvo (they had 0 cars
recalled in 2014). Of course, since many recalls are for
trivial things (like correcting the vehicle weight sticker
on the door frame) the raw number isn't all that meaningful.

I don't think the # of vehicles is valid.
I think the number of cases might be more accurate.

I didn't know that there were recalls for weight stickers. Seems
trivial.

Yes, in some ways number of cases would be more meaningful,
altho you'd still have to filter out the trivial ones. And
you'd also have have the situation where one manufacturer
issues 10 recalls each affecting 1000 cars, and another issues
one recall for 10000 cars - which is more significant?

I think my opinion was sealed about 2 months ago. A fusion was burning
on the side of the road. I could not tell whether it started in the
engine compartment or passenger compartment. The flames appeared to be
in both , and then it totally erupted.

Another good example of how hard it is to make a judgement.
A fire due to a manufacturing defect? Or a fire due to the
occupants (for example, if they were meth dealers moving
their lab & all it's inflammable chemicals)? No way for the
casual observer to know.

John

I don't disagree, but human nature, I am assuming it was the car.

--
Jeff