Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default OT? picking fruit

On 10/23/2015 1:55 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 10/23/2015 11:35 AM, Muggles wrote:

This looks interesting:

http://satyamtool.com/garden_tools/SSG12_l.jpg

main page: http://satyamtool.com/gardentools_pg02.htm

I'm not sure I understand how it is intended to work. It looks like
you *cut* the fruit off the tree and it catches the fruit in the
sack? If so, positioning the "cutter" to just snip the stem of
the fruit seems like it would be difficult. I'd imagine you'd
end up resorting to just snipping the end of the branch, instead?

I guess that's pretty much it.

The basket approach *tugged* on the fruit. The "twister"
product seems to have the correct approach (grab the fruit
firmly and twist it off). I'm just concerned as to how
long such a device would hold up and whether it would be
able to handle our larger fruit (the basket would accommodate
up to 6-8" diameter fruit; ours are frequently in the 5" range)

I like the idea of it having a snipper to cut the fruit off at the stem
and a bag to catch it in. I was thinking you might be able to use the
idea and incorporate all the pros into whatever you decide to design
yourself.

[Consider it is not uncommon to have several hundred fruit on
a single tree. So, a single picking season is several thousand
"actuations"]

How tall are the trees?

--
Maggie