Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just ordered a bike engine

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
John B." wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 19:34:10 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:01:48 -0700
wrote:

I depend on my trip odometer more than the light. I reset it when I
fill up and start looking for fuel at around 100 miles. Around 130
miles I start to get pretty worried;-)

Me too. 1600 Meanie for me these days, although I'ld like to sell
it and ride my wife's Road Glide since she doesn't ride any more. I
wish the Meanie would let me just be worried at 130 miles. LOL.

The last bike I had was a 1949 Harley 74 and I just used to open up
the tank cap and look in :-)

My 81' (yes AMF years) 74" shovel was like that. No worry though
since I had put 6 gallon stetches on it. It also got unbelieveable
mileage. I think that might be distorted though because of the
mileage pushing it. LOL. I sold it to buy my 97 FLHT. Wish I still
had that one some days. It wasn't fast, but it wasn't fast about the
same running light or pulling a trailer loaded for a week on the road.

I thought Shovels were all 80" by 1981 ? My current ride is a '90 Ultra
Classic , I go by the trip meter because the gauge isn't all that accurate
.
My AMF bike was a '76 FLH with all the original goodies , including
factory hand shift . I still miss that bike 7 years later . RIP Bag Lady .
--
Snag

I was "told" that there were some bikes made in that transitional time were
they just grabbed parts off the shelf and threw a bike together to get a
unit out the door. Mine was definitely a 74" as established when we tore it
down and freshened it up. That bike was a night mare. I recall one holiday
toy delivery ride where I had to stop and let hydraulid oil out of one of
the brake slaves because it was not retracting fully, and one of the brakes
was red hot.