Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 12:13:35 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 11:30:37 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message
Anytime I get my car back from the shop, I loosen the lug nuts and
retighten them to the coorect torque with a torque wrench.

The garage will always make them too tight which makes it difficult to
remove them on the road for a flat and also warps the rotors.

Mark

You would think by now that all the typical places that change
tires would have torque sticks so that it wouldn't happen, but it
does.

The last tires I bought at Tire Discount does that. They rotate the tires
for free and have a big glass window where I can see what they do. It looks
like they use some torque sticks on the air guns and then hand tighten them
with a torque wrench.

Funny story. A friend had wheels put on so tight at a shop that they
were obviously way beyond normal. How exactly he figured that out right
away, I don't remember, but he is very analytic, so I guess he checked
when he got home. So, he goes back and talks to the manager. The manager
assures him they are torqued correctly and to prove it, he whips out the
torque stick, puts in on a wheel nut on his car and says" See, that proves
it was torqued correctly..... Obviously when you have such a limited
understanding, anything is possible.

I bent the lug wrench that came with the Ody I bought last year while
trying to remove the lug nuts. The last place that took the wheels off
was the place I bought it from: A Honda dealer!

Even they didn't follow the torque specs for the vehicle. Did you know
that the paint pops right off of the lug wrench when it bends?